Wednesday 25 March 2020

Coronavirus, lockdown, strangeness

Well, what a difference a few months makes... I feel as though I'm currently living in one of the books I publish!

Coronavirus, a flu-like, infectious virus without a current vaccine, has spread around the world since December, beginning with China. 

It sounds like a (clumsily worded) beginning to a book pitch, and to be honest writing it down feels very, very odd. I can't believe it's actually true. It makes me realise how very strange the whole thing has been! I'm currently working from home, as is my whole company. All non-essential shops are shut. Except for Sports Direct who continue to insist they are 'essential' (for the wealth of the twatty owner). It's not a terribly lethal disease, in good news, it's a bit like very nasty flu, but has a higher death rate for those with underlying conditions. It's now in every continent in the world. EVERY CONTINENT. As of yesterday, the UK is on 'lockdown'. We are not allowed to meet more than one person in a public place, all pubs, bars and so forth are now closed by government decree. It makes me realise how generally anxious I've felt about not going out enough and now that's just - gone. It's sort of freeing/scary, until I found myself today managing to be anxious about what would happen when it gets better and opens up again and would I be invited to enough post-Corona parties? There are deaths, Anna. Actual deaths and terror and lives ruined and THAT is the bit I choose to worry about.

Also, in charge of the US is still this man:


Which I think we can all agree is a shame. Thus far he insists on referring to Covid 19 as 'the China flu', has decided on a hunch that it is 'very mild' (global pandemic), said there would be a vaccine by the end of March (there won't be) and told America that insurance companies have agreed to pay for treatment (they haven't). So, business as usual.

Work is... weird. Worried about the team. Happily am living with Alice and James who remain lovely, and together we are watching films, drinking wine, and generally just trying to weather it as best we can. Also worried about keeping my job, having to take a pay cut, no longer getting a load of promotions through that I'd fought for and generally just hoping everyone doesn't go mental. At least people are going to need books to read, I suppose. I've told myself I'm going to try and keep a diary, as these are officially, as designated by the Chinese curse, 'interesting times'.

So. What did I do today? Ate a late breakfast (sourdough, avocado, tomato, blue cheese, balsamic yes I know don't judge me and thank god no one reads this but if I'm going to be stuck in the house I'm going to damn well make nice food). Answered emails, sat on Teams calls, emailed authors. Didn't really achieve a lot but did catch up with everyone, which I do think is important also. Had miso soup and dried mango for a sort of lunch and did two (terrible) exercise classes with Alice in the garden around lunch time, then the first of the amazing Fiji McAlpine's 14 day workshop: https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/14-day-yoga-challenge-day-one. Tonight, Alex has decided to have a 'virtual pub', so we'll all be chatting on Houseparty with wine (online apps for Facechat are now HUGE). At some point I'm going to eat rice I made yesterday which is flavoured with black and green cardamom, fresh turmeric, coriander seeds (that bit was a mistake - too floral) and chicken stock. And it is going to be nice. Will also call mum for today's episode of The Archers meets I Am Legend, which is always a pleasure. She's on her own in the house, to be fair, and doing amazingly well. Thank goodness for her garden, for Netflix, for Amazon Prime and for the BBC. Definitely the new gods for this new and strange time.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment