Monday 30 March 2020

Day... Seven? Unsure. It's been a while.

So continuing after I failed to continue owing to a small bit of whirling panic about work. What happened today? I offered again on a big author. We'll see what happens. Two very nice publicity things happened though: for one author (amazing sharp and funny man), Russell T. Davies - THE Russell T. Davies of Years and Years and Dr Who fame - got in touch with the author to say he loved the book! So very exciting and much needed, given we're publishing in May and all the bookshops are closed. And also, had the very, very rare thing when a piece of PR says absolutely everything you've ever wanted said about a book you've edited! I'm proud of the book and the package anyway but reviews have been mixed (they were always going to be BUT): https://www.mailplus.co.uk/food/food-news/3618/new-a-book-and-a-bottle-with-sarah-vine.-its-the-series-thats-made-for-locked-down-lovers-of-literature?utm_source=newsletter&signin=none

After work finally finished I did a bit of yoga, day five on a fourteen day challenge. I balanced my legs on my shoulders. I think I bruised a leg but I did also feel quite proud. Ooh, and I did a proper crow pose: https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/14-day-yoga-challenge-day-five. I do feel like I'm definitely getting better at yoga  but also that's because there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO. What if, once this all ends, I've forgotten how to go out and also lost touch with all my friends? Finally the bans will be lifted and I'll just... shrug and turn back to Netflix? Also today, I had a big piece of chicken covered in gravy (made a roast last night with a tarragon, lemon and rosemary butter under the skin and a lemon in the chicken - the chicken was still a bit frozen inside so took way too long to cook, but even a bit over-crisped it was nice. Also made boulangere potatoes which actually worked for the first time ever - though remember to try adding milk next time actually as think that would work even better, shaved courgettes in a garlic and basil olive oil (nice but not sure about the luke warmness) and a 'mash' (sort of, mostly just a bit crushed) of turnips, carrots and swede that was surprisingly delicious. Well that was a bit of a tangent wasn't it but it was GOOD). Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, chicken. Anyway, I was trying to read with one hand so obviously using the knife like an actual evolved human was impossible. So I just picked it up in one hand and gnawed on it like a feral beast, gravy dripping, bones crunching, no napkin... Felt a bit guilty but tbh only because I thought I should - after all, no one had to know. And then my friend Rachel told me tonight that she got potato on her hand during dinner and accidentally touched her hair. When her hand came back down it didn't have potato on it anymore. She drew conclusions, considered options and realised that no one would see. So it's still there, somewhere. She's fine with it. We're all fine. In no way have bwe discovered tonight that civilisation is a thin veneer enforced only by the social judgement of others.

Alice made a mushroom and jerusalem artichoke stew tonight. Smelled beautiful, tasted a bit dull and also was very grey. Finished the night after chatting to mum (in Archer's mode today thank god) watching Noughts and Crosses with Alice and James. I am so very lucky to have housemates at the moment.

Until tomorrow. And all of the joy that awaits. Sufficient unto the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment